The (Sr.) Director, Site Operations - Property Management is responsible for overseeing property operations, tenant relations and tenant improvement management activities at Torrey Plaza by Breakthrough in San Diego, CA. In addition, the Director will also be responsible for assisting in many aspects of the Company’s operations including, but not limited to, tenant leasing, tenant improvements, new construction and due diligence activities as necessary for the San Diego region and beyond as needs and growth dictate. The individual will be a self-directed and motivated individual capable of managing both large and small project teams, resolving complex issues in a timely manner while prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously.
Responsibilities And Duties
- Perform property management functions to included, but not limited to, physical inspection of the property and tenant spaces at least once a month or as needed.
- Oversee the management of in-house building engineers.
- Perform accounting functions using the Company’s management control system.
- Oversee and track that capital projects scheduled in the budget are completed on time and on budget.
- Oversee and track that routine annual/quarterly maintenance projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Manage and coordinate maintenance or capital improvement projects so that tenants experience a minimum of business interruption.
- Oversee, manage and/or perform other property management functions required of the position and assigned project(s).
- Perform/prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports in accordance with Company protocols and requirements.
- Prepare/participate in the development of the annual property operating budgets.
- Timely collections of monthly rents.
- Reconciliation of financial statements and ledgers.
- Reconciliation of operating expenses.
- Create a culture which provides mentorship for new tenants getting setup with vendors, conduct tenant orientations, safety trainings and other educational forums that are beneficial to tenants.
- Develop (with third party vendors as necessary) strong standard operating procedures and programs at both sites ranging in protocols for laboratory safety, laboratory operational permits, hazardous waste disposal, maintenance of accurate and up-to-date records on all training, permits and incidents. Maintain all site signage related to safety and standards for the site. Ensure that Control Area compliance is being met.
- Support and collaborate with leasing and Breakthrough team on selection of potential tenants and with leasing and Real Estate Development teams in the programming of spaces, assessment of chemical inventory and general tenant programs.
- Onboarding of all new tenants. This process will include having interface with tenant’s lab operations managers and key personnel. Offer guidance on initial setup which includes protocols for agency permitting on various operations such as waste water, etc.
- Create strong vendor relationships which work well with asset and engineering teams in the handling of all contracts and maintenance programs for shared core process services (RODI Systems, gases, etc.) Act as the primary interface between the tenants for scheduling the use of shared equipment.
- Manage and guide building engineering staff and/or third-party vendors in the day-to-day management of shared utilities, lab equipment, facility repairs in conjunction with building engineers/vendors and routine maintenance of critical functions such as building management system, emergency generators, certification of fume hoods, etc.
- Develop strategic event programming
- Review, approve and work in partnership with Real Estate Development, Asset Management and tenant team for planned space alterations
- Work in partnership with Real Estate Development team on potential new innovation studio sites.
- Responsible for Tenant Exits – review of Surrender Plans, coordination with Tenant’s and consultants to ensure decontamination of suites has been handled appropriately and all agency documents filed.
- EH&S Role: Support tenant licenses and permit filing, with support of consulting firms, to help ensure regulatory compliance and efficiency in establishing such programs. Develop compliance training programs to ensure tenant employees are educated on safe and appropriate work practices (Biosafety/Bloodborne Pathogens, Hazard Communication, Chemical Hygiene, HAZMAT storage and waste management etc.), risk mitigation
- Emergency Response: Provide oversight to asset and engineering teams in emergency situations such as floods, spills and leaks requiring immediate restoration, mold analysis and remediation.
- Capital Projects: Work in partnership with Breakthrough team in the coordination of all major capital projects, involving shut-downs or any form of disruption for laboratory tenants.
Qualifications And Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a field of business, finance, architecture or engineering required.
- Minimum 7 years of proven and documented success in the asset/property management industry with direct practical experience setting up operations, operating and managing sophisticated facilities, life science/laboratory experience required.
- Strong communication skills are required.
- Strong financial skills are required.
- Experience in all phases of property operations, inclusive of asset and property management functions.
- Experience with complex, highly technical commercial building system applications, including building system commissioning experience and set-up strategies.
- Experience with tenant improvement projects ranging from build-out of building shell space, to modifications of built-out, space to demolition of and complete renovation of existing built-out space.
- Outgoing and energetic in community and industry organizations.
- Able to work varying and flexible schedule to include obligations outside of regular business hours.
- Knowledge of key liability and legal issues in property management.
- Computer proficient skills with strong knowledge in spreadsheet preparation and working experience with all Microsoft Office Products, including but not limited to, Project, Excel, Word, Outlook, and with skills to learn proprietary software systems utilized by the Company
As an equal opportunity employer, Breakthrough Properties is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.
- Property Management
5+ to 7 years
This job is no longer active.