Associate Corporate Counsel
2100 Legal Dept, Foster City, CA, US
Requisition ID: 2218
Mission and Values
MidPen Housing is a non-profit organization that develops high-quality affordable housing communities, professionally manages the properties in those communities, and provides services to residents. The three affiliated corporations are MidPen Housing Corporation, MidPen Property Management Corporation, and MidPen Resident Services Corporation.
To provide safe, affordable housing of high quality to those in need; to establish stability and opportunity in the lives of residents; and to foster diverse communities that allow people from all ethnic, social and economic backgrounds to live in dignity, harmony and mutual respect. We have established a list of core values which guide our work and culture: how we treat one another, our residents and our partners.
Your day to day
• Provide Legal Assistance, Counsel & Advice to Internal Departments & Partners.
• Conduct Legal research.
• Assist in Management of Corporate Governance and Documents.
• Supervise and coordinate the handling of unlawful detainer actions by outside counsel and Property Management staff.
• Oversees and coordinate the response to tenant and third party property management related litigation
• Assist Property Management staff on variety of tenant related matters, including vendor contract negotiations/relations.
• Under supervision of Corporate Counsel serve a key Legal Resource for Development Department.
• Coordinate and Complete Legal Department Review & Revision of Development Related Documents (e.g. Financing, Equity, Entitlement, Land Use, and Construction).
• Assist Development Team on Dispute Resolution & Risk Mitigation.
• Manages the amendment to any corporate formation documents (articles of incorporation, operating agreements, bylaws, etc.).
• Assist Corporate Counsel as needed on management of Corporate Litigation.
• For internal client legal requests not requiring handling by Corporate Counsel, Associate Attorney conducts research and evaluation of legal requests and develops draft responses.
• Draft responses to be reviewed by Corporate Counsel on an as needed basis.
• Conducts legal research using electronic and hardcopy legal resources (e.g. Westlaw, Case/Code Books, and Treatises)
• Assist Corporate Counsel on as needed basis with development and presentation of risk management related policies, procedures and training.
• Prepares Legal Disclosures under Corporate Counsel's supervision for departments and corporate entities on as needed basis.
• Performs other assignments as requested.
What you bring
• To be fully considered upload a cover letter with your resume.
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree required.
• Must have a license to practice law in the State of California, and must be in good standing with the California State Bar.
• Minimum five (5) years as practicing attorney in California with preference for professional experience in corporate legal department or law firm with direct corporate client contact.
• Knowledge of corporate, real estate, redevelopment and housing law, as well as federal, state and local laws and regulations applicable to the development, management and operation of affordable housing.
• Ability to work independently, yet communicate effectively and work cooperatively with senior management, public officials, financial partners, development professionals, all levels of staff and residents of properties.
• Preference will be given to candidates with previous experience in Affordable Housing industry.
• Active professional or personal involvement and interest in non-profit missions.
Life at MidPen
When you join MidPen, you join a team of passionate, committed individuals. Whether you work at our corporate office or onsite at one of our communities, MidPen employees help transform lives from day one while enjoying the following benefits and perks:
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Competitive vacation, sick, and personal holiday accruals
• Long-term disability insurance
• Life insurance
• Great work-life balance, including a wellness platform and program
• In-house trainings and external classes supporting professional development
• Company outings and team-building activities
• Creative collaboration in a fast-changing and crucially important industry
• Financial counseling and generous discretionary retirement contributions
At MidPen, we seek those with good hearts and great minds - those who share our dream of providing affordable housing to all. We are guided by five core values that shape our interactions with our partners, residents, and each other:
• Integrity: We provide accurate, timely information, manage our company resources responsibly, and conduct all aspects of our business honestly and fairly.
• Collaboration: We work as a team that seeks out and honors diverse opinions, ideas, and skill sets in order to achieve common goals. We understand that individual success is linked with our collective success.
• Accountability: We follow through on the commitments we make to one another, our partners, our residents and our communities. We deliver specific, defined results and take responsibility for the consequences of our actions or inactions.
• Respect: We treat our employees, residents, vendors, partners, investors, and the community in which we work with dignity. We welcome social and intellectual diversity and we recognize and value the unique contributions made by our diverse stakeholders.
• Excellence: We set and strive to meet a high standard for quality, professionalism and competence. We create a work environment that inspires extraordinary work, recognizes results, and gives everyone a chance to make a difference and share in the organization's success.
To apply, visit
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job