Gotham Greens is seeking an experienced and passionate Director of Development and Construction to manage the development of new greenhouse facilities across the United States. This individual will identify and evaluate current and future real estate needs, source prospective locations, and lead project development from site selection to completion. This individual will direct the site selection, due diligence and entitlement processes; lead project development; assist in project design and planning; assist in project financing and financial analyses and oversee construction management and administration. This role will report directly to the CEO and jointly oversee the project management team (architects, engineers, project managers, related third party contractors, etc.)
The ideal candidate is passionate about innovative, sustainable development and embraces Gotham Greens’ core values and mission of contributing to a better food system. This is an opportunity for a driven individual to assume a leadership position at a rapidly growing, innovative, disruptive food manufacturing company for the 21st century food system. The position is based in New York with opportunities to transfer to other company locations in the future. Travel required.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Lead pre-development process including: market and site identification; financial analyses; entitlement research, zoning and land use, and execution; deal structuring and underwriting; and relationship management with internal and external stakeholders
- Direct project development during all phases including scope, budget and schedule development; design and construction drawings, permits, variances and approvals; bid and negotiation, construction management plan and execution; and project close out
- Perform and present financial analyses, including return on equity, cost of capital, buy vs. lease, etc.; coordinate financing applications and associated diligence
- Manage relationships with third party developers, contractors/consultants, real estate providers, permitting and economic development personnel
- Coordinate with design and engineering professionals, third party vendors and suppliers, construction managers and contractors on site selection, design development, construction drawings, permitting and approvals, project administration and close out
- Responsible for tracking project budgeting, schedules, billing and disbursements
- Engage senior management on property matters, identifying alternative locations, and cost savings efficiencies
- Manage existing greenhouse facility portfolio utilizing growth forecasting build and maintain a project pipeline portfolio
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 8-10 years real estate and development industry experience required
- Bachelor’s degree required with strong academic performance
- MBA or Master’s degree in architecture, engineering, finance, construction management or relevant field preferred
- Proven track record of executing an ambitious real estate growth strategy including site selection, development, project management, budgeting and analysis for projects exceeding $10 million
- Exceptional communication, presentation and negotiation skills and the ability to manage multiple locations and projects simultaneously
- Superior analytical and problem-solving capability; ability to think strategically and creatively
- Proficient in reviewing architectural drawings, construction documents; identifying and managing change orders processes, budgets and related variances
- Excellent program/project management, organization and leadership skills
- A self-starter with an ability to excel in a dynamic, ever-changing environment
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Office, advanced proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint
- Significant travel (20-30%) will be required
- LEED AP, PMP, and CCM preferred
- Real Estate Brokers license a plus
The ideal candidate:
- Reliable and highly motivated with a creative flair and lively personality
- Passionate commitment to the company vision- sustainability and creation of a better food system
- Appreciation to principles of sustainable agriculture and food
WHO WE ARE
Gotham Greens is a global pioneer in urban greenhouse agriculture and a leading consumer brand of premium-quality local produce and fresh food products. Gotham Greens’ produce is grown using ecologically sustainable methods in technologically-sophisticated, climate controlled, urban greenhouses. Gotham Greens provides its diverse retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers with a local, reliable, year-round supply of salad greens, herbs and fresh food products grown under the highest standards of food safety and environmental sustainability. The company owns and operates over 170,000 square feet of greenhouse across four facilities in New York and Chicago and currently has 500,000 square feet of greenhouse under development in five US states. Gotham Greens was founded in 2009 in Brooklyn, New York.
We are farmers that live in apartments. Our team is hard working, supportive, and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun, and collaborative.
Gotham Greens is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Project Management
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.