IMT seeks an experienced leader for the role of Managing Director of Programs to guide and implement IMT’s multi-year strategic plan, BuildUp 2030. Buildings are more than windows and walls, they’re where we live, play, learn, and connect. And at IMT we believe they can do more. BuildUp2030 is IMT’s vision to decarbonize buildings and strengthen the equity and livability of American communities. Our goal is that by 2030, buildings must not just provide physical space but also be designed and operated to: reduce and eliminate building carbon emissions; promote housing and energy affordability; support resilience, grid reliability and disaster response; protect the health of the public and building occupants; and improve community representation in policy creation and real estate business.
The Managing Director of Programs oversees all programmatic work, including Policy, Business Engagement, and Strategy & Analysis. This role provides an exciting and unique opportunity to change business practices and shape policy development to drive market adoption of decarbonized, high-performing buildings. The Managing Director reports to the Executive Director, and is part of IMT’s Executive Management Team.
To ensure successful delivery of IMT’s services to its many clients, the Managing Director of Programs is a thought partner to the Executive Management team and the program staff to execute an ambitious organizational strategy. They will ensure that IMT is delivering effective work, informed by the market’s multitude of stakeholders. They will set expectations and milestones for IMT program positioning and monitor progress against our organizational goals.
- With senior management, develop, update, and execute organizational strategy—setting the programmatic pathway for IMT’s goals of broad adoption of building regulations at the city, state, and federal levels; usher in new utility regulatory models that center investments in people and that improve the health and wellbeing of citizens; and use IMT’s expertise and influence to bring about change in real estate and other business operations to embody commitments to equity and the environment.
- Evaluate and pursue opportunities to partner with other organizations. Identify new partnerships built on mutual respect and reciprocity – where IMT can use its influence and opportunity to advance the interests of partner organizations.
- Track progress against long-term market change through oversight of market transformation indicators and quarterly progress against organizational goals
- Set and communicate strategies and goals around diversity, equity, and inclusion across all programming
Representation and Communication
- Set expectations for IMT positioning through project plans, in coordination with Managing Director of Communications and Development
- Represent IMT with key stakeholders including policymakers, elected officials, business leaders, reporters, and funders
- Serve as a national thought leader on policy development and mechanisms needed to achieve widespread and equitable access to high-performing buildings
- Develop strategies and plans for collaborating with partner organizations that advance IMT’s mission and improve the organization’s reach and effectiveness
Staff Management and Program Execution
- Directly supervise three Directors overseeing program and analysis activities (e.g., Directors of Policy, Business Engagement, and Strategy & Analysis) and provide strategic direction that affects their leadership of respective programs and other work
- Work with Human Resources to ensure professional development opportunities are ample and encouraged, and that they align both with staff’s ambitions and with the organization’s strategy
- As the party ultimately accountable for the successful delivery of IMT’s program work, coach and mentor staff to provide the guidance they need to provide excellent client service
- Accountable for team’s timely work plan deliverables
Development, Fundraising, and Reporting
- Set programmatic development and fundraising targets, summarizing outcomes, milestones, and activities in alignment with IMT’s organizational strategy. Communicate with funders about IMT’s impact, including through grant writing, funder reports, and identification/assessment of new funding opportunities.
- Support and maintain relationships with funders and donors
Qualifications and Skills
- 10+ years of experience in a relevant role
- Degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- Commitment to advancing social and environmental justice
- Demonstrated experience building, leading, and maintaining an effective senior management team
- Proven leader in field with experience building consensus among diverse stakeholders
- Strong communication and decision-making skills
How to Apply
This is a full-time position based in IMT’s Washington, DC office. IMT currently encourages remote work in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The salary range for this position is $140,000 – $155,000, commensurate with experience. In addition, IMT offers a competitive benefits package.
The deadline to submit your application is May 17, 2021. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to catalyze demand for high-performing buildings, resulting in decarbonized buildings that strengthen the equity and livability of American communities. Achieving this vision requires market transformation via strategic regulatory and business interventions that provide clear paths to energy-efficient, low-carbon, healthy, and resilient buildings for all. Building on 25 years of experience, IMT works in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental and community groups to create and deploy win-win practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, communities, the economy, and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, IMT provides a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity-including racial, ethnic, and gender–and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.
- General Management and C-Suite
10+ to 15 years
Apply for this job