Nuveen Real Estate is one of the largest investment managers in the world with $130 billion1 of assets under management.
Managing a suite of funds and mandates, across both public and private investments, and spanning both debt and equity across diverse geographies and investment styles, we provide access to every aspect of real estate investing.
With over 80 years of real estate investing experience and more than 550 employees2 located across over 25 cities throughout the United States, Europe and Asia Pacific, the platform offers unparalleled geographic reach, which is married with deep sector expertise.
The Nuveen Alternative Healthcare team is responsible for overseeing the financial, operational, leasing and construction/redevelopment of Nuveen’s healthcare portfolio which encompasses medical office, senior housing, and life science. This role will focus on medical office and senior housing asset management. The asset manager will work closely with Portfolio Management to execute fund mandates, including budget analyses, monitoring in-place debt and developing hold/sell analyses. Investments are primarily made through joint ventures and will require the candidate to have a proficient understanding of venture terms and responsibilities. The position will require the candidate to regularly meet with operating partners to discuss investment performance and strategy.
The position will take a lead role in managing real estate across multiple funds, risk-profiles and asset types. Applicants should have relevant institutional asset management experience and a good understanding of healthcare real estate and broader commercial real estate. The ideal candidate has demonstrated knowledge of real estate fundamentals and can develop and implement strategies that will maximize the financial performance and value of the portfolio assigned assets. Additionally, the candidate should be highly adaptable to a changing investment landscape, demonstrate the ability to think creatively to add value, be detail oriented and have a mindset for outperformance. This position is currently remote but will be returning to the office once re-opened.
- Create and implement, in partnership with Nuveen’s operating partners, strategic one, three and five year business plans for each asset. Continuously monitor execution of the asset’s short and long term business plans.
- Oversee financial, operational, leasing and capital matters for the medical office and senior housing portfolio.
- In addition to financial aspects, the asset manager is responsible for the implementation of ESG, technology and other broader Nuveen initiatives.
- Regularly engage with joint venture partners to ensure Nuveen’s interests and performance in investments is maximized
- Prepare and review annual business plans, operating budgets, capital budgets, as well as monitor actual performance against these budgets through the year.
- Present property activities and financial results to third party investors and Portfolio Management on a regular basis.
- Participate in the underwriting of new investment opportunities and support the Alternative Healthcare team’s growth initiatives.
- Understand and stay up-to-date on market dynamics and trends and see the input of research and other professionals in analytic activities.
- Help access under-represented emerging markets and develop relationships with potential local partners.
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from a four-year college or university in a relevant field of study.
- Real estate asset management and/or transaction related experience, including soliciting, analyzing, negotiating, financing and acquiring commercial real estate.
- Possess strong knowledge of commercial real estate fundamentals, terminology, economics, finance, valuation and financing.
- Self-motivated with strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Collaborative with a proven ability to interact effectively with other functions and team leaders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Argus, and Yardi.
- Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ideal experience of at least 5 years in asset management and 7+ in commercial real estate, with a focus on medical office, life science and/or senior housing.
- Travel requires (5-15%)
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
*©2021 Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA), 730 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017 C23921
- Asset Management
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job