When you join Hines, you will work alongside innovative leaders who set the standards responsible for our reputation as an industry leader today, and you'll be a part of shaping our future in the years to come.
As Managing Director, Conceptual Construction Europe, you will manage and act as Owner's representative for all activities associated with consultant selection and contract negotiations, design, preliminary budgeting and scheduling, bid and award and construction contract negotiations for Hines European projects. This position will report to the Executive Vice President of Conceptual Construction and work closely with European Country heads and regional teams. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for providing Conceptual Construction European project support, which involves coordinating the general preconstruction activities. Collaborate with regional teams for design team member selection. Responsible for selection and contract negotiations of all consultants. Monitors and reviews architects/engineers work as to budget and schedule plus direct activities of architects/engineers and informs development group and/or ownership of preconstruction status.
- Prepare cost estimates, budgets and budget updates, reviews design and working drawings.
- Coordinate and support the bid and award phase with general contractors, construction managers, and subcontractors and negotiate construction contract.
- Assist Hines construction management team as a resource during construction.
- Assist in marketing presentations to third party clients and tenants.
- Act as a team member with all Hines staff.
- Act as a conduit to share lessons learned from Hines projects between other Conceptual Construction Group team members and Hines project teams in Europe.
- Work independently within the standards created by Conceptual Construction.
- Ability to apply deep, extensive knowledge of construction methodologies, contractor pricing and capabilities, and budget analysis that adds demonstrated value to a development project.
- Ability to collaborate heavily with local/regional teams on project work, and with Central Conceptual team to stay aligned on best practices and standards.
- Ability to provide dedicated, in-person support to projects at a very detailed level, multi-tasking between projects in different locations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently across various cultures.
- Develop people to meet both their career goals and build the bench of future leaders
- Maneuver skillfully through complex stakeholder dynamics
- Show a sense of urgency to take on new opportunities and challenges with enthusiasm
- Use formal and informal influence to gain the support and commitment of regional partners
- Is uncompromising on Hines standards and Conceptual Construction risk management practices/thresholds
- Other Functions:
- Develop standard architectural agreements and construction contracts for each European country.
- Develop Hines predevelopment best practices for each country.
- Maintain a positive relationship with the owner, lender, city and state authorities and tenants as applicable.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and codes, Hines standards and Hines policies and procedures
- Assist in preparation and monitoring of the project budget plus capital improvement project projections.
- Maintain ethical, professional and courteous relations with contracts and subcontractors.
- Interface with other members of Hines Conceptual Construction group, assists in drawing and specification preparation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Vice President or Senior Vice President of Conceptual Construction.
- Focus on opportunities to mitigate risk and improve the quality of each project design and the process of developing each project.
- Protect the Hines brand.
- Coordinate with Hines Innovation team regularly.
Minimum Requirements include:
- Undergraduate degree is required.
- 15 or more years of related commercial real estate industry experience.
- Previous international experience is a benefit but not required.
- Fluency in English is required and other European languages is a benefit, but not required.
- Ability to travel extensively. Likely to be 3 to 4 days per week.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects.
- Ability to manage design team and coordinate with Hines' development team.
- Ability to present budgets, design alternatives, schedules, etc. to owner with credible backup and recommendations.
- Ability to market Hines services to third party clients and tenants.
- Ability to think creatively to produce innovative approaches during design and contract negotiations.
- Ability to deal with multiple country cultures to create the best possible results while advancing the Hines brand and all it stands for.
- Manage the flow of information in order to get the best decisions from each project team.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals of differing personalities, cultures, and beliefs to achieve the goals of each project.
- Ability to read and interpret detailed construction drawings and specifications plus communicate with the team of professionals. Ability to calculate surfaces, volumes, weights and measures. Ability to read and interpret manuals, research/instructional reports, safety rules, and methods/procedures.
- Ability to determine time, place and sequence of operations or action to be taken on the basis of analysis of data.
- Ability to mediate disputes and interpret the intent of the contract documents.
- Maintain calm demeanor in tense or difficult situations.
- Ability to apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deals with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent computer spreadsheet and word processing skills.
Hines is a privately owned global real estate investment firm founded in 1957 with a presence in 219 cities in 23 countries. Hines has approximately $124.3 billion of assets under management, including $63.8 billion for which Hines provides fiduciary investment management services, and $60.5 billion for which Hines provides third-party property-level services. The firm has 148 developments currently underway around the world. Historically, Hines has developed, redeveloped or acquired 1,362 properties, totaling over 449 million square feet. The firm's current property and asset management portfolio includes 514 properties, representing over 222 million square feet. With extensive experience in investments across the risk spectrum and all property types, and a pioneering commitment to sustainability, Hines is one of the largest and most-respected real estate organizations in the world. Visit for more information.
We are an equal opportunity employer and support workforce diversity.
No calls or emails from third parties at this time please.