Brandywine Realty Trust “Brandywine” seeks a General Counsel who will report to the CEO and will also serve as Corporate Secretary, serving as a trusted advisor to the executive management team and Board of Trustees.
BRANDYWINE OVERVIEW: Brandywine is a publicly-traded company listed on the New York Stock Exchange (BDN) with capabilities in asset and property management, development/construction, site selection, land acquisition, approval attainment, design and space planning, construction management, renovation, build-to-suit services, investment services, marketing and leasing services, and tenant life. Brandywine is one of the largest full-service owner/operators of office and industrial properties in the United States, recognized as one of the top REIT’s in the country with an excellent reputation for delivering quality space and service. It currently operates in the PA, DE, Metro DC, TX, MD and Northern Virginia markets with 140 properties and joint venture partnerships that in total are close to 26.8 million square feet.
Brandywine Realty Trust is committed to establishing sustainable practices consistent with its commitment to provide "Best of Class" office environments to its customers, employees and vendor partners to enable their health, productivity and excellence. Brandywine seeks to build and manage environmentally responsible buildings and workplaces in a manner that reduces current and future risks, lowers operating costs, and identifies additional revenue opportunities; its current portfolio is 78% Energy Star labeled and 20% LEED certified. For more information, please visit www.brandywinerealty.com
ROLE SUMMARY: The GC will have oversight and management responsibility for all legal matters, ethics and compliance, risk, and board secretary duties for the organization. The successful candidate will take an innovative approach to supporting the strategic business initiatives and will demonstrate relevant business experience in order to effectively collaborate with all company stakeholders. The GC will execute complex real estate transactions and will be an architect of an appropriate strategy to opportunistically monetize partnership initiatives closely working in collaboration with the leadership team. He/she will work closely with Board of Trustees and leadership team to ensure that that the organization remains true to its mission in a manner consistent with legal requirements and articulated risk management standards. He/she will manage the legal function which currently includes a staff of four or five in-house attorneys and will oversee the work of and budget allocated for outside counsel. Principal subject areas will include, at least, the following:
- Board Governance and Liaison with Compensation, Cyber Security and Risk Management Committees
- Contracts, licensing, and other transactional work; Venture Agreements; M&A
- Employment Law (including executive compensation and benefits)
- Intellectual Property and Technology Transfers
- Compliance and Ethics
- Insurance Oversight
- Tax Law Interpretation
- Corporate SEC Documentation Review
- Strong management skills, and the ability to interview, hire, and train employees.
- JD from an accredited law school or equivalent and fifteen years related experience and/or training.
- Active member in good standing of a state bar (PA, NY, NJ or FL preferred).
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent judgment and professional standards, with a proven ability to handle sensitive or confidential organizational issues.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to deliver high quality work on time and within budget.
- Excellent presentation skills with a track record of success in presenting to senior management
- Superior client service skills and ability to resolve problems creatively, collaboratively, efficiently and as needed.
Brandywine Realty Trust has retained the services of Diversified Search to assist in this search. Applications should include a Résumé and Cover Letter. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. All inquiries and expressions of interest will be held in strict confidence. Applications, inquiries, and nominations should be submitted by clicking apply.
Brandywine Realty Trust is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
- Property Management
7+ to 10 years
Apply for this job